Trail Marking for Running Events
Trail marking for running events:
Things you need to know and do.
- If there is a fork in trail you will have some participants use it and get lost.
- The front runners will be going 10mph….which is pretty fast, so when marking think of the speed and how tired these participants will be and you need to mark accordingly.
- Chalk is good, but after a bunch of runners pass over it can start to be confusing.
- Assume nothing on the navigational ability of runners.
- Before EVERY turn and AFTER every turn you need to have arrows.
- Your Chalk arrows should be accompanied by ribbons (surveyors tape, all the same color).
- On longer segments, hang some ribbon and or put more chalk to assure the participant that they are still on the right course.
- If you see a root that might not be seen, it is nice to squirt a little chalk on it.
I have raced tons, and if it is possible to take the wrong turn I will do it.
Good luck and good race directing!!